Sunday, January 13, 2013

Disgaea DS (NDS)

For the first Disgaea game I ever had, I have to say I enjoyed this one the most until I played the next game in the series.  This was a breath of fresh air for me.  Sure this is the worst port of this game, but that just goes to show how well made this game is.  If I had this much fun with the worst version of the game, I can only imagine what the better versions are like.

The basics of this game are simple.  Clear maps to win.  You have a clear goal.  Your way of doing this is up to you and once you get into all the different stats, reincarnation, weapon levels, etc.  This game has more depth than most people will want to deal with.  Heck, even if you are setup to level grind, it takes a good while to get to 9999 the first time with just one character.

And that's what I love about this game, it takes everything to the extreme.  Bosses that are 9999, weapons that have stats in the millions, damage that is just so absurd, I still get surprised by it sometimes.  It's like they wanted to just raise the caps on RPGs and then did it.  The story isn't half bad, but as a fan, you will grow to loathe the main characters of this.  Not because they are not fleshed out and well presented, but because they just show up in every game hereafter, with the same quirks and jokes.  It does wear a little thing when you have to listen to Flonne be a lovefreak every single time she shows up.

Would I pick this game up if I weren't into grinding and trying my best to get everything I can out of a game? No.  You will spend hours getting into this game once you know what you are doing.  Sure if can take time to get through everything, but the rewards are astounding.  Seeing those large numbers just does something to your brain.  It's almost a drug, it keeps you coming back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment