Monday, June 25, 2012

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)

I bought this game just as Partners in Time was coming out.  I was eager to play a Mario RPG since the last one I had played was for the SNES.  I have to say, I was gladly surprised at how much fun this game was.  It was incredibly fun.

The bits I can remember cause it has been years since I beat this have all been good.  The story is awesome, well-paced, and well-thought out.  The combat is the key draw to this game.  It's a turn-based RPG but each attack has a context sensitive cue to do more damage.  I got to the point where I could do most of the difficult attacks without the easy mode turned on for them.

This is one game I would play again had it not been for the last boss.  This is the only really challenging part of the game and such it should.  This boss doesn't break the barrier of being frustrating though.  Once you know what you are doing, you can do it but it is difficult nonetheless.

Through out the game, you know who will be the boss.  You don't expect it to be difficult but you know who you are fighting.  You learn everything you need to know to defend yourself and you are given every opportunity to use those skills.  That's how a game should end.  Using what you have learned throughout the game to win.

For being a GBA game, I was surprised with the depth and the amount of content.  It was a great game and should be in anybodies collection.  Plus it has some hilarious moments and the whole game just has a great feel to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment