Monday, November 22, 2010

Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island (DS)

This was a recent completion for me.  A fun little RPG.  Even though it was bogged down by too many scenes of friendship, numerous interruptions, and an annoying system for getting things done.  The alchemy system makes up for it.

Let me get it out of the way, I like making items.  I like taking junk I've collected and turning it into other junk or great weapons or whatever.  That's why I liked this game.  I could take dirt (in three different colors) and make glass balls)

One thing that really hurt the experience though was the lack of any real challenge.  It's not a difficult game.  Even though I didn't get the best ending because I didn't bother to befriend everybody, I was not punished.  I did get a good ending because I had mastered my Alchemy.

Another thing that bugged me was the constant interruptions by NPCs.  Every time I tried to do something, they would constantly bug me for useless items I had no way of making.  Often, I would have to buy the item just to give it to them.  Sure, I could have figured out how to make that item but buying the recipes was expensive and often not helpful because a lot of the stuff needed to make upper level things were very rare.

The last complaint I have is the fact that I can't make weapons, only make them better.  Making a weapon from scratch is not an Alchemists job but it would have made the experience a little better by making me work for the weapons I used in battle, instead of just buying them.

Not a bad experience with this game.  Although, if you don't like Japanese voice acting, you are out of luck.  No translated voices.  Which isn't bad except some of the voices can be a little annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment