Thursday, August 8, 2013

Theatrhythm (3DS)

The first thing I usually tell people when they ask me about rhythm and music games is that I am terrible at them and rarely ever play them.  In fact, this game is the first one I ever played.  It's not a genre of game that I can ever really get into for some reason and I believe it comes from my own lack of musical talent.  Sure, I listen to lots and lots of music (mostly video game soundtracks) but that does not mean I possess rhythm.

This game showed me my true faults and it pushed me beyond my normal comfort zone for games.  I'm glad I played it, it was fun.  Being a Final Fantasy fan definitely helps when you play this.  Having beaten all the main numbered games, except XI, I could remember every single little moment from all the sections. I remember the music, I remember the characters and this game brought it all back up.

This game was a nice refreshment from my usual gaming habits.  Yes, it has RPG elements but it is not an RPG.  That was key, since I was playing this at a time where I was so overrun with RPGs that I had no clue what to play.  I'm still there now but I now know what I need to do to keep going.  This game showed me how I should balance my game playing so I don't get so into a rut with RPGs that I just stop playing everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment