Saturday, September 29, 2012

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)

A classic, albeit redone, is nonetheless a classic.  This game is what defined a generation of action games and what set a very high bar for the genre.  Every Zelda game since it's release has been compared to it.  Although I have beaten and played the N64 version, I did enjoy this quite a bit.  It was a great bit of nostalgia.

I won't bore you with the details of this game because most likely you have played this in some form.  Being an incredibly huge action adventure fan as I am, I have to say this game is one of my favorites.  It is not without it's flaws and I do not praise this game.  I take it for what it is, a classic example of how to do certain things correctly.

First, the design is incredibly polished and well-thought out.  The puzzles are solvable and the combat is simple and to the point.  The music is great and the story is a grand with many facets.  My biggest issue with this game is just the sheer amount of time you can pour into it and never achieve everything.  I have never gotten all the heart pieces.  I have tried on several occasions to do it but it never happens.

Sure there are some frustrating parts, namely the Water Temple and for me Bongo Bongo, but the game pushes you.  Each new item is used in various ways in each dungeon.  This game is a classic for a reason, it does things right and set the standard almost for a whole generation of games.

No comments:

Post a Comment