Sunday, April 10, 2022

Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch)

 I'm not going to lie, I love Kirby.  I have played every Kirby game and there is just something about the little pink puffball that makes me keep coming back.  This game was no exception.  I found myself just bopping through the levels, looking for secrets and doing my best to finish with as much found as possible.

If you've played a Kirby game before, this will feel familiar.  The biggest change is the jump to a 3D platformer.  Kirby has been 3D for a while but never in a fully 3D world.  The transition was really good and for the most part, they nailed it.  There are a couple of instances where the depth of field messed up a jump or I randomly walked off the map because I wasn't paying close enough attention. Those moments were few and far between.

I do need to make a mention though, Kirby games have always been viewed as easy.  It is one of the reasons I love the series.  It is great to just turn off your brain and run through a level or two.  This game though, they added some difficulty.  There were many times, especially during bosses, that I almost died.  I didn't learn till after the main story and into the special secret stuff that the game intended the player to use guarding and dodging.  I tanked most fights and survived somehow, but I had to learn how to play a bit better at times.

The copy abilities in this game all felt great.  Some were familiar, like Sword or Hammer, but then you get some a new one like Ranger.  They actually gave Kirby a gun, they won't admit it but they did.  Each ability has strengths and weaknesses and the puzzles surrounding them were fun.  New to the series is the mouthful abilities.  Basically, Kirby swallows a huge object and gains control of it.  Each object does something unique, from racing around in a car to smashing enemies as a set of stairs.  Each has a section and each feels unique.

The best part of the game, and series, is the music.  This game is no exception but some of the tracks are especially noteworthy.  The ice themed area had some of the best music and the mall music made me feel like I was actually wandering around a mall as Kirby.  Doing what he would do, jumping from table to table eating the cakes and doughnuts stacked on them.

Kirby is one of those series that I just can't get enough.  They each feel unique and are some of the most fun I've had with a game.  Sure, most of them aren't long but that isn't a bad thing.  Some games pad the hours just so people feel they get their money's worth.  Kirby doesn't need to do that.  It sets out to be fun from start to end and that is what it is.  There is depth to the game though.  There are numerous side-games and collectibles.  Watching Kirby look at the little figures you collect is probably my favorite gaming moment as of late.  Kirby is the wholesome hero we need right now and I'm so glad that this game exists.  Do yourself a favor and play this game.  Just don't expect it to be a cakewalk.  

No comments:

Post a Comment