Saturday, April 30, 2022

God Eater 3 (Switch)

 As a Monster Hunter clone, God Eater really does try its best to set itself apart.  With the devour and gun switching mechanics, they've done a decent job.  They introduced some new weapon types in the second title and the burst mechanics were further expanded.  In the third title, they added two new weapon types and grew burst even further.

I'll get it out of the way.  The story in this one is very generic.  It felt so similar to the previous titles that I skipped most of the cutscenes and still knew what was going on.  You spend your time learning about each of your team members, eventually befriending somebody mysterious, and then it all culminates in an epic climax.  I did watch the last set of scenes and it felt like I hadn't missed a thing.  The story is there but nothing to write home about.

The core of the game is going through missions with your selected weapon and beating on big or small Aragami.  The big difference from previous titles is there are new Aragami to hunt.  Some are fun to fight and others a complete bother.  Some hit entirely too hard and the new mechanic where some of the bigger baddies can now devour you and go into burst was annoying.  It led to a basic tactic of just running away once an Aragami started attempting to use the devour attack it had.  Problem is, some of them you couldn't run away.  They would either follow you across entire maps until you got hit or lost all your stamina.  Sometimes they would get you with no chance to even react.  

Still, combat is fun.  The burst mechanics are fun and it was fun using the different burst arts.  I played the game using only the new weapon type of Heavy Moon.  It felt good and often I had no problems just rinsing through enemies.  Sometimes my attacks wouldn't register or I wouldn't jump when I had clearly spammed the button several times.  The controls are not as responsive as I would have liked but I made due.  Guns and custom bullets though feel like they got a huge nerf.  Gone are the days of building a special bullet that pretty much destroyed whatever you fired it at.  They are very limited in use and I didn't bother even using one.  I picked the shotgun gun type and just blasted until I ran out of OP, using it as a simple way to rack up some quick damage while I was trying to run away.

My biggest complaint though is the camera.  I've never had to fight a lock-on system as much I had to in this game.  I would lock on to enemies only to have it just vanish seconds later.  I didn't press the button to dismiss it and the Aragami didn't vanish or move in a way it should have disengaged.  Most of my knockouts were from me just simply being unable to see the enemy.  It was incredibly frustrating to be hitting an enemy only to have the camera decide I no longer needed to see them and whiff my big finisher.

As far as the series goes, this was a good way to end it.  They really did peak in the Rage Burst.  The combat wasn't as tight in this but it was more fast paced.  The guns were not satisfying and I mostly ignored them.  Even the story wasn't great and very formulaic.  All in all, I had some fun but felt no need to keep playing after the main story was done.  I'm sure some of the side missions were interesting but I have no desire to keep playing it.  Good for fans of the series but if you want a Monster Hunter style game, just get Monster Hunter Rise at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment