Sunday, December 30, 2012

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (PSVita)

A game that tugs at my heart.  This was my first game for my PS3 back when I got it and this was one of the first I got for my Vita.  I love the Disgaea series, for one reason.  The amount of content is astounding.  Everything is at an extreme.  The levels, the maps, the weapons, everything.  Sure this game has some flaws but this particular version has something the PS3 version doesn't, this one has more stuff.

Let's get off with the bad, this is a very grind heavy game.  A great deal of your time will be spent grinding levels on characters.  Even leveling items is time consuming.  Now this is only bad if you don't reap the rewards of this grinding, what are the rewards?  Taking down that ultimate boss, damage in the billions, and the coolest equipment in the game.

The story of this game is alright, I find it to be the weakest out of the series so far but all the characters are lovable and prove that just because you are evil, doesn't mean you can't have a little fun.  The new unique skills for generic characters are a welcome change and are often incredibly useful.  More than once my Healer was doing great deals of damage because of the new skills in this game.  With awakened skills as well, it just sets this game above the PS3 counterpart.

Did I have fun with this game?  Yes, more than I did with the first release.  Will I continue to play it?  Of course, that is the fun of this series.  The post-story bosses are the challenge, the true draw.  They are what pushes you forward.  Being able to take down a level 9999 boss is just so rewarding.  I've never done it but I've come close.

No comments:

Post a Comment