Friday, May 18, 2018

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

A new Nintendo console and a new Legend of Zelda.  I'm not saying I specifically purchased a Switch for this game but it was the first game I had purchased for said console.  I've always been a huge fan of the series and I do enjoy running around the world of Hyrule.  This game was different in a lot of good ways and there were some things in it that I definitely did not like.

To start off, this is the first truly open world Zelda game.  From the time you leave the first little area that serves as a basic training ground, you can pretty much go anywhere and do anything you want.  See an interesting tree up on a mountain?  Go up there and see what is up there.  Find a shrine hidden in a canyon?  There is nothing stopping the player from getting to it.

There is a lot of freedom in this game and at times it is great.  But sometimes it can be really daunting.  There is a basic guidance through the story but sometimes the game can feel unstructured.  This isn't a terrible thing, too many games hold the player's hand and this game does not. 

With all that said, I did have some minor complaints.  Climbing and stamina were often times a hindrance.  I do understand that having stamina is a necessary thing but when they add in things like rain, it is more frustrating than fun.  Often times I would be trekking somewhere and simply have to stop because the random weather effect had changed to rain making it impossible to climb what I needed to.  Just simply stop and wait out the rain. 

Also, this brings up the other weather effects.  I know they were used to make each area feel unique and having to switch armor was a nice idea but often times the armor you needed to wear just to survive was terrible and would leave the player incredibly weak in areas with some very dangerous foes.  This often lead me to just run away from things instead of killing them.  I will simply just keep a Lionel at the spawn distance away from me because these foes were often just too hardy and not worth the effort to kill.

I also did not really like the weapon degradation mechanic.  I understand it is necessary because having a weapon that is too good would have broken the game but it also makes any rewards you get feel really worthless.  Make it through a difficult shrine and get a neat weapon, ultimately to never use it because it will break sooner than expected.  Weapons just break way too easily.

Even with these minor things, the game is fantastic.  It is a wonderful adventure and just so beautiful that wandering around was a favorite past-time of mine.  Sure, I didn't do everything and I was definitely missing quite a few shrines but I enjoyed what I played.  It was my journey and that is why I liked it.  Nobody else played the game like I did.  Nobody made the same choices and did things the same way I did.  Even some of the puzzles have multiple solutions, which definitely is one the best things they have done in a long time.  Sure the story was really fragmented and kind of weak compared to past titles.  The fun is there and this is definitely an entry into this series that just can't be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment